Maintains complete and accurate financial and statistical records for Hartelco, Inc. its subsidiaries and affiliates. Responsible for maintaining accounting records in accordance with established guidelines and procedures.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
• The accountant/bookkeeper is responsible for the accounting functions of the company. These functions may include revenue and expense records, especially accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll, general and special cash account activity, long-term debt, preparation of reports, operating and construction budget control, inventory, and continuing property records and reports.
• Maintaining general and subsidiary ledgers by entering various transaction information, preparing journal entries, reconciling general ledger accounts and allocating revenues and expenses among accounts and budgets.
Other duties may include:
• Preparing journal entries for activities not recorded through cash receipts, cash disbursements or payroll functions based on appropriate documentation.
• Preparing, analyzing and reviewing various operating and financial statements to ensure accuracy and conformity with established accounting classifications and reviewing significant variances.
• Preparing or assisting with various reports for RUS, NECA, FCC, PSC, Dept. of Revenue, auditors, consultants, etc. Preparing for year-end audit of assigned companies. Maintaining and updating spreadsheets for intercompany rent allocations and leases, etc.
• Preparing monthly the reconciliation of bank accounts and related investment accounts.
• Maintaining continuing property records of all telephone plant in accordance with the Uniform System of Accounts and verifying that related documents are accurate and up-to-date.
• Preparing reports as requested by Board of Directors, regulatory agencies, taxing authorities, General Manager, management team, etc.
• Determining and reviewing account classification of invoices for Accounts Payable.
• Preparing work order records and distributing to proper plant accounts along with applicable overhead charges and prepare work order summary reports
• Reviewing computation of interest payments and verifying loan account balances from RUS quarterly statements.
• Verifying accuracy of property tax statements including local assessments, rates, valuations, etc.
• Work with Controller to prepare financial statements as necessary. Develop and track product costs and profitability reports.
• Prepare product pricing and forecast models.
• Analyze monthly actual to budget variances and prepare report detailing significant variances.
• Develop procedures to increase automation of accounting functions to reduce manual, recurring and duplicate entries.
• Develop and maintain monthly departmental financial reports.
• Completing other tasks as assigned by Controller or General Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Must have strong computer skills with a working knowledge of Excel and Word and have the ability to learn new programs quickly.
• Ability to work in a teamwork environment is a MUST.
• Must understand principles of bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles.
• Familiarity with telephone utility accounting is desirable but not essential.
• Tax knowledge helpful would be beneficial, particularly payroll and sales taxes.
Any combination equivalent to the following education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities would qualify. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
Accounting degree or other Business degrees. Telecommunications or Cooperative experience a plus.
Company Benefits Package:
Health insurance, 401(k) plan, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, life insurance, long-term disability and other benefits.
Hartington NE (located in the beautiful rolling hills of Northeast Nebraska)
Hartington won the 2014 Nebraska Governor’s Showcase Community Award, and Hartington/Hartelco received NTCA’s Smart Rural Community Award in 2017.
Compensation and Work Hours:
Competitive wage commensurate with experience
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Submit cover letter, resume and references to the attention of General Manager.
Mail: Hartelco, PO Box 157, Hartington, NE 68739
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.